Monday, January 25, 2010

My Day At Martha Stewart


When I was on The Martha Stewart Show last week, the result of this little blog, they surprised me with an offer to spend the day working in the art department of the television show.  No, it wasn't an offer of a full time position (as many of you have been e-mailing me and asking), but it was an amazing opportunity to get in there and meet some people and learn about the day-to-day activities that go on behind the scenes of the show.

I'd like to thank Anduin Havens, the art director, and her whole team (Hosanna, Robert, et al) for allowing me to spend the day shadowing them.  Everyone was extremely friendly and very helpful and kept asking if I was having fun.  And I was.  I was there to work and I hope that I was at least somewhat helpful.  Behind the scenes of a TV show is an ever changing environment, with lots of movement and last minute changes.

The whole place was, to no surprise, extremely organized, with all the drawers and bins and cabinets labeled with a P-Touch as to what was inside them.  Ribbons organized by colors, dinner napkins apart from lunch napkins and everywhere that could be used for practical storage was.

The day I was there the team was finishing up a long week of shooting but, though tired, were moving at full steam.  They start at about 7AM and go till the work is done - the day I was there, this was at 6PM.  At the end of the day the team was to change the set over from it's January theme to Valentine's Day, so there was a lot of hustle and bustle - moving clear jars to fill with pink and red and white candies, arranging jeweled crystals in little glass containers so they looked just perfect, separating colored stones - all this on top of keeping the show moving and looking just right.  While I didn't get to see too much of the creative process, the development and pitching of ideas (simply because of the type of day I went in on), I did see a bit of it - and got to spend some time wandering through the aisles in the art department.  Think the most organized craft supply store you have ever been in.  I also was able to see the team working on some ideas to pitch to Martha for Valentine's shows.

There is so much that goes on there, and it is so varied from day to day, that one day was not really enough to see the entire creative process.  And, after spending the day there, in such a bustling and creative place, I am even more determined to find that kind of work environment.

Image of Martha Stewart Living crafts room from The Martha Stewart Website

5 comments:

  1. Wishing you much luck on landing a permanent gig with Martha, or maybe somewhere like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That's awesome. I hope a position opens up for you & that you could work for/with Martha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats again! Hopefully something will come of this, if not with this company, another one where you can be craftsy to your heart's content! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing your "behind the scenes" Martha moment

    ReplyDelete
  5. Briana, you rock! You're also a gem to work with. :)

    Amy Dunn
    www.amydunn.com

    ReplyDelete