Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Bake For A Cause

In case you hadn't figured it out by some of my previous posts, I like to bake.  A lot.  There's just something about the precision of measuring flower and fat and a leavening, adding just the right amount of sweetness to savory that I find extremely satisfying.

There's the added bonus that you can share the treats you made with others.  Their enjoyment is even more gratifying.

Below are a couple of ways that you can bake and help out some pretty cool Brooklyn causes.

On January 23rd, enter a pie (or pay $5 admission to show up and eat) in the Third Annual Pie Contest to Benefit BK Farmyards at K&M Bar in Willamsburg.  The pies will be judged by chefs Diane DiMeo (Red Box Bistro, Chopped), Seamus Mullen (Boqueria, The Next Iron Chef) and Cody Utzman (Papacitos, Brooklyn Standard, Chopped) and I will be competing.  Come and vote for my tasty pecan-bourbon pie (as of today, that's what I think I'm entering) or enter one of your own!

Every Wednesday in Greenpoint, the ever-changing group of volunteers in Craig's Kitchen bakes dessert for those who are eating dinner at the Greenpoint Soup Kitchen.  I've done this myself several times and am signed up for a couple of Wednesdays in February.  It's a great chance to bake a yummy dessert for people who will really appreciate it!

Know of any other great ways to bake for a cause?  Leave it in the comments section!

2 comments:

  1. Saw you on Martha today. Good luck with your endeavor. You definitely have the talent to join the Martha team! Keep us posted on your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw you on Martha. I hope she hires you. good luck!

    ReplyDelete